Monday, January 16, 2012

Lip Exfoliation: Sugar & Oil Scrub

Let me just say that winter totally, completely sucks for my lips.  I get halfway through winter perfectly fine, then I'll lick my lips ONE time out in the cold and suddenly they're super chapped.  In times like these I used to stick firmly to my Burt's Bees Lip Balm, which is as low as $1.99 online, but this year I didn't have the chance to pick any up.  What I do have instead that has been getting me through winter is this wonderful little thing:


Nivea, A Kiss of Milk and Honey (as low as $1.79 online)

It really is a kiss of milk and honey.  The flavors are just barely there in the stick and it keeps your lips well-moisturized. It's really saved me so far!

But I'm not really blogging about lip balm today.  I'm more interested in talking about lip exfoliation.

Our lips really take a lot of beatings and not many people realize that they need more care and attention than just a quick glossing or balming.  A friend of mine introduced me to lip exfoliation.  I'd never done it before today because honestly I never thought about it.  Here's what I tried today: I mixed a tiiiiny bit of oil with some white sugar.  My friend tells me that when she exfoliates her lips, she uses brown sugar instead.  I'll try that next time too so I can see if there is any difference between the two.  Anyway, I mixed the two together, and it was really just a little more oil than is necessary to coat the sugar.  Then, you apply it with either a toothbrush with soft, straight bristles or your finger.  I chose to do it with my finger because I was worried that the toothbrush would be too harsh on my lips, which you're not supposed to be.  

When applying, you want to move slowly in small circular motions.  I probably spent two minutes exfoliating my lips because at first I was pressing very lightly, but I pressed more firmly when I became confident that I wasn't about to rip the skin off of my lips.  After, you just wash off the scrub and apply a lip moisturizer or lip balm.  Again, I used my Nivea.

Really... I didn't realize how gross my lips were haha.  I do have a patch of rough skin from biting on my lip and some of the dead skin had come off during the exfoliation.  My lips felt way smoother than when I had started, but there's still a lot of work to do.  I am going to try it again tomorrow with brown sugar to see if there is any difference.  But it literally takes 1-2 minutes to treat your lips to some real care.  I definitely suggest giving it a try, since most people do have oil and sugar in their houses!  Good luck and get scrubbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment